Sunday, November 9, 2008

When was the last time you did anything for the first time?

Its been a few days since I’ve had the chance to post any of my mind babblings. I’ve been travelling, something that I love doing… absolutely love! Even though it was an itinerary filled trip, I still managed to find those exciting moments. I should admit that it’s the very random and the trivial things that amuse me.

I have always been in awe of little children who engross themselves with just about anything that catches their sight. Whether at the airport or at a crowded hotel lobby, you will discover that kids always have something or the other to be keep their minds occupied and distracted. We adults however crib when we’re made to wait even if its just for a tad, in que’s either during check ins or for a hotel taxi or an appointment that’s been delayed. We start getting annoyed and forget about the finer things in life.

Life is as exciting as we craft it for ourselves. I was asked the other day much to my bewilderment as to “when was the last time, I did anything for the first time?” Wow! That question surely got me lost in thought. I figured children most often than not are always doing things for the first time in their lives. No wonder, they are entertained. I figured travelers love their lives due to the opportunities they get to see something new almost everyday in different parts of the world. Maybe not in the same frequency, but we must also surely have several things which we have never attempted in our lives before.

So I have decided that I would make it a point to engage myself in regular “first times”. For instance I did several things for the first time during this very trip of mine. And it surely felt gratifying. I felt a bizarre thrill as though I was a little child again. It definitely felt good. Moments filled with absorbing the newness in my life, away from the mundane worries that usually preoccupy the mind.

I sat down to reflect on the different things that I’ve done for the first time in the past couple of days and I realized that there were quite a few. Stayed in a different hotel, which makes the stay a first time. Tried new restaurants, walked down new ally ways, ate a very famous customary after food refresher etc etc… They were all exciting in their own little way. I am usually always preoccupied with work, family and forget to appreciate the little things that excite me. And as I am very easily amused, (maybe a gift in disguise, which I’ve never realized), I have decided that instead of living the very ordinary routine life and cribbing to myself – Cést la vie, I shall watch out for opportunities to accomplish things for the first time in my life and make life as exhilarating as it could be.

So, finally when was the last time you did anything for the first time?

No comments: